The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is looking for an editor to employ in the English Language Unit within the Translation and Editorial Section of the Division of Conference Services (DCS), UNON, under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Unit. What are you waiting for? Follow your dream!
For more opportunities go to: International Organizations
Organization: The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services.
Duty Station: Nairobi
Open To: Graduates who have passed the combined examination of the United Nations languages for Translators / Précis-writers, Editors, Verbatim Reporters and Copy Preparers / Proofreaders / Production Editors in English or any competitive examination of the UN languages in English
Timeframe: Not specified
Deadline: 08 September 2019
- Editing texts of a specialized or technical nature for accuracy, clarity, cohesion and conformity with United Nations standards, policy and practice;
- Consulting with author departments and carrying out research to clarify ambiguities and rectify errors;
- Providing authors or others submitting documentation with information on specific aspects of editorial policy and practice and assisting them in the preparation of manuscripts;
- Providing guidance to contractual editors and translators with a view to refining their skills and performance and assisting them in solving problems which require specialized knowledge, linguistic insight and political judgement;
- Acting as a report-writer at United Nations meetings held in Nairobi and elsewhere;
- Standing in for the Chief of the Unit on request and performing other administrative duties within the Unit which are assigned to her/him;
- Performing other related duties.
- A first-level degree from a university or institution of equivalent status;
- Candidates for this position must have passed the combined United Nations Language Competitive Examination for Translators/Précis-writers, Editors, Verbatim Reporters and Copy Preparers/Proofreaders/Production Editors in the English language or any United Nations language competitive examination in the English language;
- A minimum of two (2) years of editing experience (experience editing within the United Nations is desirable, report-writing experience is an asset);
- Perfect command of English, excellent command of at least one other official United Nations language and knowledge of a second official United Nations language is an asset;
- Knowledge of editorial policies, practices and research techniques, solid writing and analytical abilities with sensitivity to nuance;
- Ability to spot errors and inconsistencies in a text;
- Meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Calm in stressful situations;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicit input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise;
- Support and act in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments;
- Allocate appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresee risks and allow for contingencies when planning;
- Monitor and adjust plans and actions as necessary;
- Use time efficiently.
Wage/Fees: Not specified
To submit your application, you must use the online application form by clicking “apply now”. Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, Inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
UNITED NATIONS OFFICE AT NAIROBI
- O. Box 67578
Nairobi, Kenya 00200
Telephone: +254 20 7621234
edited by Michela Palocci
The editorial staff of carriereinternazionali.com is not responsible for the reliability of the information contained in this article. If you want any further information concerning this vacancy, please contact the proposing organization.
Do you want to start an International Career? If you want to know something more about our association activities visit the website www.internationalcareersfestival.org